giovedì, giugno 30, 2005

Why I left...

I don't think enough time has gone by to answer objectively to the question of why I left seminary. My present answer would be that I think I am called to some kind of community life. Either "community" as in "religious community", or in the sense of the "community" of a family.

The vocation of a diocesan priest is one of solitude, especially if you live in a country with few priests combined with long distances between the parishes. I'm not sure about humanity at large, but at least for myself, I can say that I am a "community creature". Not in the sense that I absolutely can't bear solitude, but I think my vocation is - just as everyone else's - to advance in holiness.

And from experience I must admit that I need (perhaps daily) help with that. So living alone in a parish with close to no contact at all with "holiness-helpers" I am assuming is not my vocation.

Still, God calls whoever he wants and takes them through things they'd never managed by themselves. So if God is of another opinion, I won't argue with Him. But He'll have to make it a lot clearer to my blind eyes if He wants me to go back.

For the moment I am assuming that marriage is the "main vocation" for me. But no "special one" has crossed my path yet, so who knows...

I guess I'll just wait the man upstairs out until he gets pissed on my faliure to understand His calling and just gives me a written note with exact instructions :P

4 commenti:

Veriphile ha detto...

Thanks for answering. I appreciate it. I would ask more questions, but I don't want to come on too strong..........maybe later.
Hope you're having fun blogging!

Veriphile ha detto...

Hmmm.....suggestions for a post. Just what I was asking on my blog not too long ago. How about something you already touched on - the need for community, whether cleric, reigious or laity?

Veriphile ha detto...

Oops! I meant 'religious', not 'reigious'. Sorry.

Veriphile ha detto...

Symeon, Symeon, wherefore art thou, Symeon?